Solar panels have improved a lot in recent years. The technologies used to manufacture solar panels, as well as obtaining the materials —mainly silicon— and the progress in the use of these systems have made solar panels much more efficient and productive . In fact, today it is possible to find solar panels that generate up to 500V per hour. In this article we are going to explain how much energy solar panels generate, how to calculate the number of volts they consume in a day and how many solar panels are needed to generate 5kV, among others. Keep reading to find out!
How much energy do solar panels generate?
The power of solar panels depends, above all, on the materials used to manufacture them. Solar panels can be of various types and not all photovoltaic cells have the same characteristics, something that we can notice with monocrystalline and polycrystalline silicon solar panels. In general , the current power of solar panels is around 250W and 300W , although —as in everything— we can also find more affordable 150W solar panels. But the opposite also happens, nowadays it is more and more common to see solar panels with a power of 500W. This means that solar panels are capable of generating this many watts in an hour—of course, as long as they receive ultraviolet radiation from the sun, that is, during the day.
How many kW does a solar panel produce per day?
As we said, the power of solar panels depends on the product in question. The most common is the 300V solar panel. To make the calculation in kW of what a solar panel produces, the time factor and location must be taken into account. That is, the area in which it is installed and the number of hours of light it receives per day, among others. Suppose we install a solar panel on a roof that receives 5 hours of daily radiation —imagine an area in southern Spain, for example—. In this case the calculation is as follows: 300V x 5h = 1,500Vh. Or, what is the same, 1.5kVh per day. Obviously, the data may vary depending on the power generated by the solar panel, as well as the amount of light it receives —which is influenced by the season of the year and the weather conditions,
Number of solar panels needed to generate 5kV
We have already explained what are the main factors that influence the generation of energy from solar panels, now we can solve the question that we raised in the title of how many solar panels are needed to generate 5kW. The first thing to be clear about is that the number of solar panels that we have in our photovoltaic installation will determine the amount of energy that we will be able to self-produce —but, also, the savings that it will mean in our monthly electricity bill—. It is essential, therefore, to optimize the number of plates that we will need to also avoid surpluses and produce more energy than we need —that is, energy that we will not be able to take advantage of.
Keep in mind that the average annual electricity consumption per household is usually 3,487 kWh, as explained in the report on Consumption of the Residential Sector in Spain published by the Institute for Diversification and Savings, IDAE. This translates into a monthly average of 291kWh for each home. To calculate the number of solar panels needed, the following must be taken into account:
- Up to 2,000kWh of annual consumption : 2 to 4 solar panels.
- From 2,000 to 5,000 kWh of annual consumption : from 5 to 7 solar panels.
- More than 5,000kWh of annual consumption : more than 7 solar panels.
As a reference, you can also take into account the following data. If your bill is usually €50 per month, you will need to install a total of 3 to 4 solar panels in your home. Now, if the bill is between €50 and €100 per month, then you will need between 5 and 9 solar panels. In cases of invoices of more than €100, the number of solar panels must be 9 to 10, or more.
What aspects must be taken into account when calculating how many solar panels are needed?
It is important to take into account all the aspects that influence when determining the number of solar panels that we need in order to save our investment. These are:
- Power : As we indicated above, this tells us the amount of electricity that each solar panel can generate from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.
- Performance of solar panels : It is another aspect that we must take into account. In this case, the quality of the solar panel will influence the useful life of the solar panel, but also the effective use it makes of energy. You have to choose quality manufacturers and brands so that the investment is profitable.
- The orientation of the solar panels : Of course, a solar panel facing south is not the same as one facing east. The most appropriate, always, is that it is oriented towards the south and never towards the north. In some cases it may be convenient to face east or west.
- Geographical location: It is another aspect to consider. With this, what we must evaluate is the irradiation of solar energy that directly affects the production of electricity. As a reference, keep in mind that for an annual consumption of 3,000 kWh in Seville, it will be enough to have a total of 5 to 7 solar panels, while, if the location is in A Coruña, you may need 2 or 3 more panels.
Basically this is all you need to know about How many solar panels are needed to generate 5kW-.